Finally breaks a losing streak that lasted the whole month in terms of my portfolio value. It’s up $1000 as we speak, from yesterday, to $138,600. The market fully retraced last Friday’s sell-off and a lot more. Just about everything went up. My overnight leftover GOOG and CME yielded some green; unfortunately I sold them shortly after the open. The market went on steroid after that.
The daytrades, however, continue to suffer. Long 500 SPY on the 20 ma support on the 5 minute chart. The set up failed and got stopped out at the usual (local) bottom:
Then I shorted 100 SPY on confirmed backtest of the 20 ma resistance on the 5 minute chart:
In other words, got whipsawed. Lost on both long and short trades. That sucks. Fortunately, in terms of monetary loss it was only ($80). For the day, I booked about $300 of realized profit.
Some freaky event happened. I bought 500 DHR on theinformedtrader alert and was going to take a quick profit on 400 shares minutes after. However, the limit order didn’t get filled even though the last quotes were way above it. I couldn’t cancel the order, couldn’t place a new market order, and couldn’t cancel all open orders, and couldn’t close the position. I even went to the web interface because it has happened before on the tradestation. Finally I had to call the trade desk and he canceled the order for me. Fortunately, this mishap worked in my favor, as I was able to fill the order at a higher price.
The other mishap, however resulted in the usual punishment. I closed MUSA on resistance and was trying to place a stop order to buy above the resistance. I used the order bar instead of Matrix and I ended up placing a limit order which resulted in a market order. The Matrix would have automatically set the order type to stop order. As we speak, I’m in red with the order entry error.